Monday 29 October 2007

Bostini Cream Pie




This months Daring bakers challenge.

I really liked the sound of this one and planned to make it early, as it was I bought cream three times before I did!! Still struggling to cook anything that feels hard work though in the end it was really quite easy.

The pudding comes in three stages. First I made the cake which is one where you used whisked egg whites to give it air, first time I've ever had a chiffon cake to my knowledge . It does have some baking powder in but is designed for cake flour which is low in gluten for wheat flour and so is less of a change for gluten free. I just used Dove Farm general purpose as I wanted something fairly neutral flavour wise and some of my other flours have a distinct taste. The cake came out wonderfully light though it wasn't cooked in the middle. I cooked it all in one big cake pan not small molds as I didn't have any and it was getting too cooked round the edge but hadn't quite cooked enough in the middle. However as I made the whole amount of cake and only 1/3 of the custard it was easy to work round the uncooked bit. Next time I'll try muffin tins or similar.

With the custard as I already mentioned I only made 1/3 of the recipe, it was a huge amount of cream to make the full amount and from what others had said it was far more than we would eat, though for a party it would be a different matter. It was quite easy to make though I nearly killed it twice, first I tried to measure the cornflour in cups not tbsps which would have been interesting! Then I got distracted while cooking it because the timer went off for the cake and I nearly got scrambled egg.

The chocolate sauce however was a 10 second job, I used unsalted butter (thanks those who mentioned using salted by accident otherwise I would have too!) and Bornville chocolate as we like dark chocolate but I wasn't using the Green and Black !!

I chilled the custard and then placed a room temp circle of cake on top and smothered with chocolate sauce. I divided the custard into 4 which was still good size portions even though it is smaller than the suggested serving size. Loved the cake and sauce, personally found the custard a little eggy but himself loved it. It was something between a thick normal custard and a set egg custard. He polished off all his and half of mine as I was already quite full from fish pie earlier.

Original recipe
Bostini Cream Pie
(from Donna Scala & Kurtis Baguley of Bistro Don Giovanni and Scala's Bistro)
Makes 8 generous servings


INGREDIENTS:

Custard

3/4 cup whole milk
2 3/4 tablespoons cornstarch
1 whole egg, beaten
9 egg yolks, beaten
3 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream (I used double cream as I'm in the UK)
1/2 vanilla bean (I used vanilla extract)
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar

Chiffon Cake

1 1/2 cups cake flour (used Dove Farm gluten free)
3/4 cup superfine sugar
1 1/3 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil (used basic veggy oil)
1/3 cup beaten egg yolks (3 to 4 yolks)
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup egg whites (about 8 large)
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Chocolate Glaze

8 ounces semi or bittersweet chocolate
8 ounces unsalted butter

INSTRUCTIONS

To prepare the custard:

Combine the milk and cornstarch in a bowl; blend until smooth. Whisk in the whole egg and yolks, beating until smooth. Combine the cream, vanilla bean and sugar in a saucepan and carefully bring to a boil. When the mixture just boils, whisk a ladleful into the egg mixture to temper it, then whisk this back into the cream mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain the custard and pour into 8 large custard cups. Refrigerate to chill.

To prepare the chiffon cakes:

Preheat the oven to 325°F. Spray 8 molds with nonstick cooking spray. You may use 7-ounce custard cups, ovenproof wide mugs or even large foil cups. Whatever you use should be the same size as the custard cups.

Sift the cake flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the oil, egg yolks, orange juice, zest and vanilla. Stir until smooth, but do not overbeat.

Beat the egg whites until frothy. Add the cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gently fold the beaten whites into the orange batter. Fill the sprayed molds nearly to the top with the batter.

Bake approximately 25 minutes, until the cakes bounce back when lightly pressed with your fingertip. Do not overbake. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack. When completely cool, remove the cakes from the molds. Cover the cakes to keep them moist.

To prepare the glaze:

Chop the chocolate into small pieces. Place the butter in a saucepan and heat until it is just about to bubble. Remove from the heat; add the chocolate and stir to melt. Pour through a strainer and keep warm.

To assemble:

Cut a thin slice from the top of each cake to create a flat surface. Place a cake flat-side down on top of each custard. Cover the tops with warm chocolate glaze. Serve immediately.

28 comments:

  1. Well done for adapting the recipe for gluten-free and completing the challenge successfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha - I must be the only one who really liked using salted butter! :) I love your presentation, those glasses are really pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esther - Your Bostini's turned out beautifully. Way to go on beautiful and tasty gluten free goodies!

    Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on this challenge! I'm always impressed by the gluten-free changes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised at how easily this came together as well, nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job and GF too?!
    Excellent
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're amazing! I can't believe you adapted the recipe for gluten-free. Now that's impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on taking this recipe gluten free!! Looks yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great gluten free adaptation, as always! They turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you can adapt this recipe for gluten-free version. Great job really!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also had trouble getting around to making mine. The cream was nearly expired from having bought it earlier in the month. :-)

    Nicely done on the challenge! Your Bostini looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very nice job on the presentation. Those are such cute glasses. I am just amazed that you could do this gluten-free. Bravo.

    jen at use real butter

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done with adapting the recipe! The bostinis look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks amazing...and great job on making this gluten-free!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you found it easy to pull it all together. And gluten-free too! Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look so absolutely tempting on those glasses. well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! Glad you're able to convert for gluten-free.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bought eggs 3 times before I could finish!

    You did a great job! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent job in turning it to a gluten-free dessert!

    I'm glad he liked it.. and that he finished off yours.. no waste that way. hahaha!

    well done!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmmm, looks like I shouldn't have missed this month's challenge! Everyone seems to enjoy it so :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just making it gluten-free is a challenge.
    Sounds like himself liked it very well to eat half of yours as well as his own! I had several small serving over several days. Very rich.
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  22. They look wonderful! I'm glad you were able to create a gluten-free version and that you averted all the near disasters. Why do you not use Green & Black chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I didn't use Green and Black cos I wanted to eat it myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice job on the bostinis and adapting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your presentation in the glasses is great. I used the salted butter and regreted it. Lovely job. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the way you presented your Bostini. I'm glad we've got some gluten-free people in the group; I learn a lot from your adaptations of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, gluten-free, way to go.

    ReplyDelete