Saturday 12 April 2008

Parcel of Goodies


Naomi from Straight into Bed Cakefree and Dried recently decided to cut out all grains from her diet not just the gluten ones. As she had been actively trying out various none gluten flours and grains she was left with a stash she was no longer going to use so very generously she decided to send it to another gluten free cook. I was the one privileged to win her draw and today the box arrived, as you can see from the picture it was full to the brim with various flours and grains many of which I have never used before.

Thank you Naomi I will have great fun trying things out and I promise to do my best to use everything at least once. It will certainly help me expand my knowledge of none gluten flours and baking. I expect I will be trawling past posts of yours for ideas !

Having my mum visit recently reminded me I need to sort a basic flour mix that doesn't involve maize as while she is fine with gluten she can't have maize and in fact we both get joint problems from our respective 'poisons'. As she is newly retired and with a new grandson to come and help with I hope she will be around more so it would make sense to make my staples maize free as well as gluten free. I have been happy to use Dove Farm's gluten free plain flour till now as it does a very good job as a basic flour replacement but it has maize in it. When mum was here recently she helped my four year old make biscuits which we then realised she couldn't eat. Then I made the wonderful cauliflower and broccoli lasagna from the recent Jamie Oliver book and relaised just in time she can't have my pasta either. Luckily there was extra veg mix and un-usually we had some normal pasta in the house so I made her an adapted pasta bake.

So I'm off to check out some of my favorite blogs to see what mixes they use to give me a starting point.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see what you come up with. Lots of folks seem to be corn intolerant too these days, it's a minefield! Try mixing up an ounce of each flour into an all purpose mix, you'll get something approximating a light wholemeal flour. Then all you do is add your raising agent and binder (xanthan etc) and away you go....

    x x x

    ReplyDelete