Saturday 7 February 2009

The Fruit Gobbler

Last night I tried out a recipe that Carrie had posted to the gluten free recipes group. It was for something she called a fruit cobbler.

Carrie and I have regular conversations about the differences in food and indeed naming across the pond and this is one of those times. To me as a Brit a cobbler is some sort of dish, often fruit but can be savoury topped with scones (or for the americans biscuits) However Carrie's dish is more like a sweet toad in the hole ie a batter base with fruit added. Either way the recipe sounded extremly simple and quick which with a grumpy baby and a hungry five year old seemed a very important point :)

The recipe calls for a large tin of fruit as I only had a medium tin of pineapple I added one and a half bananas and a couple of pears that needed eating. The batter is made up using the juice from the tin and added sugar which I would never have though of as batter always has milk in it but it worked very well. I also plan to try adding a bit of baking powder to my next Yorkshire pud as this one rose much better than my toad in the holes do currently and it is one dish I really miss.. I've added the recipe to the end of this post as much so I can find it again as anything.

So why Fruit Gobbler.. well my five year old declared the dish to be magic !!! but he also miss heard me and thought it was called a Fruit Gobbler.. the question is which do you think the name fits best.

This?or this?

Carrie's Easy Fruit Cobbler
My changes in italics

Wet Ingredients
1 large can of peaches, mixed fruit, or pineapple, drained with juice
reserved
4-6 tablespoons butter (or cf substitute) (I used less than this and it worked fine)
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar (again I used a scant 1/2 cup and it was about right for me)
1 egg

Dry Ingredients
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1/3 cup tapioca starch
(I just used a cup of Dove Farm gluten free flour)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Place peaches or other fruit in a large greased casserole dish. In a
large bowl whisk dry ingredients together and set aside. In another
bowl mix together reserved fruit juice, sugar, and the egg. Mix dry
ingredients with wet ingredients to form a batter. (Batter should be
the consistency of pancake batter -- add a few more tablespoons of
milk or water if you need it!) Pour batter over the peaches or fruit.
Cut tablespoons of butter into small pieces and dot over the cobbler.
Bake uncovered for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven until cobbler is
hot and bubbly! Serve immediately with whipped cream or ice cream!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT Esther!!! HOW Cute!! I love your little gobbler picture!! That fruit cobbler looks absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete