Tuesday 19 May 2009

Yorkshire puds

One of the things i've been trying to replicate without a huge amount of success is Yorkshire pudding, something that i have mentioned on the gluten free Yahoo group a few times so when Better Batter posted a recipe it was passed on to me as something to try.

Of course I did try it, that night in fact !

You can see the results above. I think next time I will lave them a minute or two more as they were still a bit soggy in the middle but I have NEVER got a Yorkshire to rise like that before. They are very good and miles better than anything else I managed to come up with.

Now I live in the UK so I can't get the Better Batter mix so I used a faux version I'd been give which is below. If I did live where it is sold I'd be seriously considering adding it to my shopping list on this recipe alone. I'd certainly be very interested to try their mix to see what the differences are.

The faux Better Batter flour blend:
4 cups Tapioca Starch
2 cups Potato Starch
1 cup potato flour (which as far as I can see is mashed potato powder)
1/4 cup xanthan gum

The mix is quite a funny texture, when they say it's like a whipped topping they arn't kidding, it was almost like marshmallow. see the picture below.Noddles thought they should have a hole in the middle like normal ones and after the first bite he said the middle tasted of potato, which i didn't really notice, but he though they were "YUMMMMY" which i agreed with.

2 comments:

  1. My goodness, you've been busy. Just read your last few posts. Lots of delicious GF cooking and baking going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these are beautiful. Is your blog on facebook?

    ReplyDelete